Saturday 29 November 2014

Wisloujscie Fortress - part 1

Panorama of Wisloujscie Fortress


Wisłoujście Fortress - this is what I wanted to write about on my last entry. Why did I write about it then? Well, the answer it pretty simple - it was closed. So why I decided to write about it now? Because I can't wait four months for it to reopen. Sadly the place is closed offseason. As I learnt stearing at the door's opening hours board. Nontheless I will write about the fortress again, when it reopens:) If I only came there two months  ago :)

Panorama - up close - of Wisloujscie Fortress


Let's start with that it was my first time there. All I knew was that the fortress is located close by Westerplatte. The way I imagined it was as a kind of lighthouse. Kinda tall round whitish building and that's about it. As stupid as this sounds, I had no idea what twierdza, which is polish word for fortress might be used for. For me it could be just a plain building that a person would barricaded himself. Only when I translated this word into english it all started to make sense to me. When going there I had to push myself not to turn around as I was convinced that I am going to end up in the middle of nowhere. Since my car is a little bit unstable these days and shuts on me for any reason I didn't want to be forced sleeping in bushes or worse.


Wisloujscie Fortress - right wing

There is no good directions on the way so I was guessing which turn to take (fortunatelly there weren't that many:). Since this area became kind of industral with port being nearby, don't be suppried to pass by slag heaps and factory building that to some might seem to be abandond, I think they are just run down. However it's not about the journey there, but the place itself. 

Drive up to Wisloujscie Fortress


I must say I was quite suprised when I saw it, and in good way. The thing is huge. There is lighthouse looking building as I imagined, but it is surrounded by massive walls that have lawn as a roof. It reminded me of my hobbit houses on Hail Mountain. It turns out I love any building that has lawn on the roof :)

View of Fortress on the other side

 Since my car didn't survive the trip and I had to left it at car mechanics, I think next time I come visit the place when they reopen in may I would be coming by public transport. I just don't want to risk it ;) Luckily I was able to borrow a car and drive across city to take pictures of Wisloujscie Fortress from the other side, since the ferry rans only during weekdays.

Wisloujscie Fortress on the map

I did try my best to see what secrets the place holds. Luckily I was able to find a whole in entrance door, so here is the sneak peek of what is coming next (in sixth month time). Hope you like it :)


Mistery of Wisloujscie Fortress





No comments:

Post a Comment