Tuesday 9 December 2014

The Crane

Panorama of the Crane

As always, today's entry isn't what I initially intended to write about, but the place I wanted to visit was closed. As it turns out I don't really know my city well enough. I should probably assume that during off season every place that requires entering anything is closed. In that way I won't be disappointed when I find out it is closed :)



Distant view of the Crane

The Crane - view from the front

Any who, today I would like to write about the Crane, one of the symbols of Gdansk. Funny enough, when I was a child I had no idea what the Crane was and where it is located. I did know the other symbol of Gdansk though, which is Neptune statue of course. Nowadays the Crane is one of my favourite building. You just can't find that oddly shaped buildings everywhere anymore :)





Inside you will find a museum that portrays Gdansk days of glory, which were between 16th and 18th century. Back then Gdansk was a hub for traders having all important shipments coming in from far lands. The museum has a rustic feel to it, and it's nothing like them new age museums with interactive games, toys and whatnot. Certainly there is a charm there with tiny rooms and narrow staircases.



The building initially was made entirely of wood. As I read, first time it was mentioned in 1367. But as all wooden structures, it didn't take long to for the Crane to be burn down to ground. Fortunately for us people decided to rebuild it in upgraded wood-brick structure.




The Crane, like most of the buildings had somewhat defensive function at first, along with crane duties of course. But in 1605 the building was transformed into residential place, at least part of it. The rest was still used to unload the ships and putting up masts.


The motor of the Crane was a giant hamster wheel filled with people, not, like I heard today's explanation, powered by horses. To be quite honest even if they wanted to use horse as the power source they would have to lift them up there with the Crane as no horse would be able to walk though the narrow staircases and sharp corners inside. Just the thought of it brings smile to my face :)

Giant hamster wheel

the Lockers :)








Outside the building you can find mini version of it made of bronze. It has been placed for people visually impaired, so they also can enjoy this weirdly shaped building.

Bronze replica of the Crane


As we all know the Crane is one of the symbols of Gdansk, it has been photographed multiple times. The front of the building anyway. The back is pretty ordinary and it looks like any other tenement house around.



No comments:

Post a Comment