Wednesday 6 January 2016

Time for shopping – Winter Sale has begun

Market Hall Gdansk


To stay with current trends of Winter Sale shopping, I decided to try it out as well. Therefore I went to Market Hall. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to do any shopping as the hall was closed due to national holiday. But know my sacrifices – it was -11 Celsius outside and during 10 minutes of taking pictures my fingers began to experience frost bites J




Anyways, I don’t think I would do much shopping as most items offered on sale are groceries (which normally aren’t subject of Winter SalesJ.  Regardless of that fact, Market Hall building is one of my favorite, it might be because of all its towers.


market hall gdansk, poland


The hall was built in 1986, previous to that there was a plaza that served as open market space, just before that, army used the space for drills. But even before that there was a monastery that was destroyed in 1813 during war.


market hall gdansk poland
Plaza on which Market Hall was built

Originally there were 188 wooden stalls (76 stalls with meat and sausages, 64 with vegetables and fruits, 22 with dairy products, 16 with fish and 10 with bread). It had a police station and a kitchen. I can just picture ladies with big dresses coming for daily shopping, chatting with acquaintances. Policeman walking around welcoming ladies with little nod and hat tip.


market hall, gdansk, poland, tricity
Market Hall, 1910

Well, at least this is what I see when I look at Market Hall. Plus I love all the little towers. Also, the shape of the building reminds me of train stations, which strangely I am really fond of.


market hall, gdansk, pomeranian, poland


Anyhow, when in Gdansk, visit this beautiful Market Hall. I will come back to the hall in spring, as there is couple of things that I didn’t tell you about.

market hall, gdansk tricity, poland

5 comments:

  1. Często obok niej przechodzę. Podoba mi się budynek, dobrze wpisuje się w otoczenie zabytkowych kamienic. Nie wiedziałam, że Hala jest taka młoda :)
    Piękne zdjęcia! Miło, że dbasz o pokazanie Gdańska z przeszłości. Z ciekawością analizuje biało-czarne zdjęcia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uwielbiam znajdować stare zdjęcia miejsc, które opisuję. Daje mi to perspektywę. Widzę ile dane miejsce "przeżyło" co się działo, jak się krajobraz zmieniał. Cieszę się, że podoba Ci się moje podejście :) A Hala sama w sobie podoba mi się pomimo, że rzadko ją odwiedzam. Chyba te wieżyczki... :)

      Delete
  2. Bardzo ładny budynek i wieżyczki na nim. Szkoda, że nie mogłaś zrobić zakupów, ale miałaś space. Pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uwielbiam Hala Targowe w Gdyni.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Magda, since G+ is dead, the infos from your blog were getting rarely. I am just refreshing my blog (d-blog.org) with importing my G+-posts and found some comments from you.
    Meanwhile we got an school exchange - with Gdynia :)!

    ReplyDelete