Wednesday 12 November 2014

Westerplatte

Today I visited Westerplatte. It is not the first time I've been there. Fist time I was dragged there by my parents and grandparents, then at my adulthood I dragged all my guests there. After all, it is "a must see" to all visitors of TriCity, as the II World War began here.


Sign at Westerplatte that says: No more war


The place haven't changed much since my first visit there. However few years back "outside exhibitions" have been added. Essentially they are display boards placed in few areas that describe the beginnings of the War and explain the significance of the place. All information panels, as well as the display boards have both polish and english description. Which I find to be a nice touch. Finally there is no need to drag a translator along :)




As I struggled to convince anyone to tag along for the tour, I was suprised to see whole families strolling through the woods and by the seashore. It was late afternoon - 4pm - so we had to power walk through the place to make it before the nightfall. We almost did. Although I don't think it made such a difference since the whole day was kind of grim and dark.



Cemetery of Fallen Defenders of Westerplatte
Track of a tank

Outpost "Fort"

The word Westerplatte comes from german and means north island. Nowdays it is a peninsula, but back in XIX century it was an island. As silly as this might sound, until today I didn't relize that on the north side of the peninsula there is sea. I have never walked to this bank before. All my visits to Westerplatte were about going upto the monument and back. I have never walked around. As I have learnt today, that is not all that you can do there. There is whole educational path established that would take you through all important spots on Westerplatte peninsula.


  



Nevertheless if you don't feel like walking around, there are few places that you can stumble upon while walking down beaten path. One of them is barrack, or more ruins of a barrack. It has been secured so you can enter it, and even, if you are brave enough, go down to basement level. I wasn't. During the day, I get goose bumps when I even cross the door arch. But today, after nightfall, it look darn scary to me. I wouln't dare come close to it.










The most known and noticable part of Westerplatte is the Monument of the Defenders of the Coast raised on a mountain. The shape of the monument is supposed to resemble a jagged bayonet stuck in the ground. I also read that there should be seven candles that are refering to the seven days of defense of Westerplatte.






No comments:

Post a Comment