Sunday 20 December 2015

The Great Mill


This particular part of Gdansk architecture hold special place in my heart. Back in '90 I earned my first money, a lot of money (according to me back then :) this is where I spend it. Back then it was the fist shopping mall in Gdansk, if you even can call it that. It was a building filled with shops so I guess it meets the criteria. But even then it was so much more than that.


It is a beautiful building, it really is. I might be my fondness of it, but I really, really like that building :) The funny thing is, that I didn't even realise what history this building holds until now. And let me tell you, there is a history.


The mill was built in 1349 by Teutonic Order. The mill is placed on man-made island. The mill was used for milling rye, wheat and also barley and oats. At its best it help 18 mill wheels. The mill was a big deal, it generated income that apparently was worth fighting for. At first opportunity Gdansk city jumped to be the owner of the mill.



There is a nice part on the side of the mill and at the back of the mill there is a restaurant, which looks nice from outside, but I never been there so cannot comment on menu :)


Also there is a internet bench there, which stream live images, so when you sit there make sure your friends are watching :)


Overall, I love this building ( I think it's kind of obvious :). In the inside you can see reminiscence of the old mill.


Which you have to go inside to see. Oh, yeah :)


3 comments:

  1. Again, another enlightening post Magda - many thanks. Will be sure to visit this next time we are back in your beautiful country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donal, I am happy I add items to your to-see list :)

      Delete
  2. Nie wiedziałam, że młyn ma tak długą historię. Budynek jest faktycznie wspaniały. Pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete