Sunday 11 January 2015

Beach on the Western Hills

Entrance to the Beach





After a long break I decided it is time to get a grip and do something productive. So despite harsh weather I set of the visit another beach. Not only this beach is one of the further once from city centre, it is also one that is very secluded.

Walk to the beach through forest


The beach is located in area that is called Górki Zachodnie, which translated to Western Hills, however I didn't notice any significant hills around. There is only one road that leads to that place. However if you can get there by water tram if you like. I've only been here couple of time, therefore I know only one entrance to the beach, and it is entrance number 21 :) .


Path leading to the beach
  Let me start by saying that Western Hills started as a fishermans village, there was also another settlement at the island called Neufährer Sandkathen. However since 1914 this area was included in city limits. As in many TriCity beaches there is forrest on the edge. But this forrest is much bigger than the other ones. Here it takes around 10 minutes drive from residential area, and by residential area I mean handful of houses, not more, to makeshift parking area. 

Walk to the beach

I guess that is the reason why this beach is one of the cleanest I have ever come across at Gdansk Bay. Small grained sand of beautiful sandie color and not that many people. Although when I visited this beach in the summer I had an impression that everybody knows everybody. But maybe that is just me :)

And finally the beach :)
One of the reasons why I decided to head out to beach today was this strong wind that we have been having for past few days. I was hoping for a proper sea storm. I saw storm once and it was breathtaking so I very much wanted to experience it again. Unfortunately I was very much disappointed, because the wind did close to nothing :(

Waves on Western Hills beach

Only when I arrived I realized that Western Hill beach is sheltered from one side by port...


The Port

... and breakwater from the other side.

The windbreaker

In my opinion this is perfect beach for people who prefer peace, quiet and nature.

Entrance to the Western Hills beach

The waves :)


I hope to return to Western Hills beach when weather improves. This time I was almost running back to car in rain and with numb fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment