Saturday 30 May 2015

Platea Spiritum Sanctum

The entrance

 I'm back from the wild. I must admit it was hard to leave the forest behind. Not because I got lost, I was holding on to the quiet and the greenery. Don't get me wrong. I spent in the forest five hours couple of Saturdays ago, so I haven't been living there past few weeks :) Just this memory stayed with me for longer, but it is time to return to the living. Re-immerse in Gdansk. And there is no better way to do that than with a walk.

Details

I found this article on the Internet about one street in Gdansk, I briefly read it and thought: "That's it". As it turned out I thought the article was about different street. I sadly must admit that I don't know the street names in Old-Town Gdansk. So if you ever come across me in the streets of Gdansk, for the love of God, do not ask me for directions. There is no telling where I could send you :)


Different perspective :)


As I said, when I read the article I thought is about different street, then I checked it on the map. When I went to take pictures, I realized I still thought of wrong street. Fortunately my phone navigation showed me to right place :)

Please don't eat the buildings

Before I start (whaaat?? didn't I start already? :) I just wanted to say, that this street might not be the most beautiful street in Gdansk, it might not be the postcard street, but if you are exploring Old Town, you just might want to stop there for a minute or two.

This "thing" is just too big the get it in one shot (The Royal Chapel and Basilica)


Since first mentioned in 1336 as Heilige - Geist - Gasse (Holy Spirit Street) the street went through transition few times. The street was named after a hospital that was located here. As one can assume, huge part of the street belonged to church (since construction of Basilica started in 1346 nearby plots were purchased and administer by church officials.

Meat Market; source: http://trojmiasto.gazeta.pl/trojmiasto/55,35612,8222458.html

What one might not know is that there was tremendous amount of traders and guild located there too. On this very street Brotmarkt (Bread Market) was located, where every Saturday one could purchase any type of baked goods and any baker could sell (even them, who weren't affiliated to the guild). And Fleischebanke (Meat Market), which in XVI was upgraded to Gothic-styled brick building and where over 80 butches of Gdansk guild were located. Many other trade was located on Holy Spirit Street (strawberry market, cloth market, and many more traders and works), but I regret closure of the meat markets the most.

Daniel Chodowiecki's Picture: Long Street, Gdansk

Apparently this street is also famous for having loads of famous people as residents :) However I didn't see any records of Madonna or Lady Gaga living there :) The list is long, so I will mention only few people: Paul Beneke who, I am sure Italians aren't very fond of for seizing Memling's triptych The Last Judgment; Daniel Chodowiecki - painter and printmaker; and probably most famous of them all - Arthur Schopenhauer.

No. 109

Although, in my opinion (and I think many people would agree) the eye-catcher of the street is The Royal Chapel. It was built 1678 - 1681, when Lutherans took over the Basilica. The build was initiated by polish king - John III Sobieski (hence the name:) The Chapel is kept in unusual for Gdansk baroque style. It does stand out for sure, but in my weird opinion, I think it complements the Basilica in some strange way :)

And finally, place to regroup :)


2 comments:

  1. Piękne zdjęcia oddające klimat tych tajemniczych uliczek w Gdańsku.

    ReplyDelete