Friday 13 March 2015

Go Bunkers, really Bunkers!

Here comes the darkness...

I know I did go bunkers already. But to be frank, it was a very brief visit. I was rushed by my companion, who was rushed by unexpected guests, who turned out weren't unexpected at all, but just forgotten :)

Shall we go in???

As we power-walked around the bunkers, I peeked through entrance holes. I am a wuss in nature, so I can pretend all I like that I didn't explore the underground, because there wasn't much time. The truth is, even if I had all the time in the world, I wouldn't go in.

Outside, yesssss!!!

So when I came across information about organised walk through soon-to-be-demolished bunkers, I was all in and very exited. Luckily for me I managed to pass my exitement to few other people that decided to tag along :)

Here comes the light, go towards it

I expected a guide, who will walk a group of 50-something people around, like when you sightsee a city with a guide, or a museum, or a castle. I imagined that as we walk though bunkers with the guide, I will be told so much about the place that I could imagine soldiers being there as we toured.

Closed off exit, trapped???

Well, there was none of that going on. As it turned out, it was a group of friends and enthusiasts, who sightsee bunkers together. So, unfortunately I did not find out anything new about the history of the buildings, or what there were used for. Despite that it was worth going. First of all we saw all the bunkers in the area (the ones still hidden in forest too). As it turns out half of them were hidden.


Bathroom :)

Another plus, and a huge one, is that with all these people and their powerful flashlights and no fear of any kind, we decided to dive in. At first very hesitant (all we were equipped with were phone flashlights, that comparing with our new friends torches were like candlelight).


Candle-lit picture

First bunker and surprise already. I thought there will be a small room (let's call it multipurpose room), but behind that room, there was a corridor linking other rooms. It was quite big. It took about 10 minutes (that felt like half an hour) to look in every room, I was getting scared I won't find the way back. When we resurfaced I was very grateful for the sun.


Lovely forest

As "the tour" progressed we become more relaxed underground, as much so that all my companions scattered around exploring new spaces on their own. Added bonus was a gorgeous weather and beautiful forest, even this time of the year.


Transformer room, aka. Common-room

Despite of lack of concrete information about the bunkers, I did find out that some of them were build in c.a. 1900 and were used by German army in war. I also know now were the transformer room is (that information I obtained when sightseeing said room. I suggested to my fellow companions that it was common-room, as it was quite big. To that suggestion one enthusiast enlightened me that it was not. Also I found that what I thought to be a broken lamp, was in fact a powering source).


bunkry gdansk linia wody polska morze baltyckie
See you underground :)

2 comments:

  1. Chyba bym nie weszła do bunkrów, bo tam jest ciemno, nie ma dostępu promieni słonecznych i bałabym się, że nie trafię do odpowiedniego wyjścia. Wiem jednak, że są pasjonaci ich , jak mój mąż, i on by tam z pewnością poszedł. Pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sama w zyciu bym sie nie odwazyla wejsc. Ale byla grupka okolo 20 osob, ktorej liczba dodawala odwagi. Zadziwiajace dla mnie bylo, ze moja mama czasami byla jedna z pierwszych wchodzacych, choc myslalam, ze w ogole nie wejdzie, albo bedzie ostatnia.

      Delete