Tuesday 25 August 2015

House of Abraham





Don't worry, it is not a story from the Bible :) It is a story from City of Gdynia :)



Last weekend I happen to be in Gdynia. My sis and I were going to an event on the pier. I happened to pass by this strange building. I wouldn't have noticed it among the jungle of big kamienica and commercial building if it wasn't so small. I stopped because of it size. As always it made me wander, why such building exists in such environment. It clearly looked out of place. I think you would agree with me on that. So of course, I had to stop. There was a sign next to the fence so I took a picture of it for future reference:) Since recently my companions get annoyed with me stopping at random places for picture taking and exploring, I found this technique saves precious time. Now instead of standing by for hour or so I am ready to move along within 15-30 minutes :) As I later discovered this tiny building happens to be the oldest building in Gdynia. I'd say: good find!


When I mentioned this building to my party later on, everyone was surprised "I forgot Gdynia is such a young city". It is, that is true (the youngnessness becomes even more prominent when one compare Gdynia with nearby Gdansk). Therefore I think it is so important to remember places like this one. As I came around on Sunday afternoon I was ok with the fact that museum was closed (as I found out there was museum inside tiny building). I was to prompt you to go there during visiting hours and let me know what's there to see. Unfortunately I found out that now the museum closed :( Indefinitely :( So the building is just a gem to admire from outside only. Such a shame.



Let me tell you few things about the building and its previous owner. Tiny building was a home to one known as Antoni Abraham. This person is not much know in polish history. Certainly I didn't know who he was until now really. The building itself is from 1904 and as I said before is the oldest building in Gdynia (building was made before Gdynia got city rights).



But, let's go back to Abraham. How strange, that there is so many people that shape this world but we know just few of them. Antoni Abraham is one of those people. Born in 1869, he was a great patriot, he fought for Poland and also Kashubians, He is known around as king of kashubian. Not only was he an activist who took part in many rallies (many of which he organised himself), he also tried to educate people of importance of patriotism and freedom. He was great supporter development of Gdynia port. All his life he tried to activate local people to unite and fight against invaders. One of most memorable actions of his was going to Paris to take part in piece negotiations demanding to keep Kashubian area in Poland. It's hard to say if thanks to him Poland got to keep Kashubian area after I WW, but I'd like to think so :)


4 comments:

  1. Saw this the other day, pity you
    inside as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw this the other day, pity you
    inside as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To wspaniałe wyszukiwać takie perełki i pokazywać nam je. Tym bardziej, że łączą się z naszą historią. Pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tutaj Ci odpowiem na Twoje pytania, chociaż nie mam zbyt dużo do pisania, bo nie korzystałam nigdy z żadnych serwisów społecznościowych do promowania mojego bloga http://giga-wszystkooogrodnictwie.blogspot.co.uk/ , który prowadzę od prawie pięciu lat. Posty piszę kiedy mam na to czas i ochotę. Są mniej więcej co dwa tygodnie. Pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete