Friday 10 April 2015

Grzëpa Pachôłka

Panorama

What goes below the surface of earth must come above the ground as well, or something like that :) Since I went below, it was time to go above. No better way that go to amazing view point.


Climbing, or not?

Grzëpa Pachôłka is a Kashubian for Bollard Hill. Peculiar name, if you ask me. I never analysed it before. I always thought of it as a name that doesn't translate, like Jennifer or Tom.


Me like :)

First time I came across this lovely hill was when few years back my parents thought I needed exercise. One weekend they decided they will take me hiking, the goal was the top of the mountain. Boy that was a hike! Few times I thought I am having heart attack, numerous time I hopes I twist my ankle so I don't have to complete the hike. My parents didn't seem to have such problems. Does that mean I am not fit??? Naaah.....


Still climbing....

You shouldn't then be surprised that I was preparing mentally to climb the hill over a week. Finally I gathered enough courage. I remembered too well from previous time the branch grabbing, the panic when faced almost flat surface that I was supposed to climbed over. Imagine my surprise when I saw stairs ! with handrail (?) and occasional benches! This is not how I remembered this hill. I say, well done!


And climbing, getting hazy...

The hill first was known as Pacholkenberg, that was in 1734. Between 1797 and 1945 the hill was called Carlsberg or Karlsberg, that essentially means Carl's Hill (lucky Carl, right? :) At one point the hill was managed by Cistercians, who converted the hill into some kind of a garden, they also build a view tower. Nice!

Old picture of the Hill

However I think it adds to the experience. Also it makes almost impossible to take still picture of the view up there, so the memories will be pretty much stored in one's mind than on photographic film.


And shaky finish :)


But whatever you do. Don't look down...


I looked down for you :)


No comments:

Post a Comment