Thursday 21 May 2015

Night at the Museum

ESC and the Monument of Three Crosses 

This weekend I went for Night at the Museum. However there was no Ben Stiller, or exhibits coming alive at midnight. You might ask, how is that possible? The answer, as always, is simple. I went for the real Night at the Museum.


Emigration Museum and a ship as big as the building itself

Every year museums around Poland open their doors to visitors at night (from around 5pm to 2am). Not only the entrance is free (in majority:), there also are extra surprises that are one-off kinda thing.


You might see suitcases there

I had very ambitious plan. I wanted to start in Gdynia, at Emigration Museum as it was its opening day. Then I wanted to stop by European Solidarity Centre, as I never been since it opened. I also wanted to see Tower Clock Museum (who wouldn't! right?) and finish of at Westerplatte.


Or, a picture of modern supermarket

We got to the Emigration Museum around 6pm to discover a bubble-shaped queue in front of entrance to the main exhibit area . No worries, we got in in a blink of an eye (about 40 minute blink:). Main exhibit area reminded me of a maze, (the "road" was twisty:) each room was so different from the previous one. I did try to read about the exhibits and gain the knowledge of polish emigration, however I had others museums at the back of my head, so I read about 50% information, but I saw 100% of pictures :)


You definitely gonna see that and you will love it even more :)

By the time we got out the queue quadruple in size and transformed into a line, and I couldn't be more pleased with myself:) So I grabbed a bagel from food truck upfront and hit the road. The only problem was the time. It was 10pm already (how????). So, of we rushed off to European Solidarity Centre.


You might be able to leave a message here...

As we entered from side door and headed upstairs to the exhibition rooms I was amazed and very happy that there is no queues. Until we were stopped at top of the stairs and directed to cash desk to purchase tickets. Then I saw it. The queue writhed like a snake. Estimated waiting time: 1,5 hrs. As the bets on waiting time started rolling in a miracle happen: a lady came over and offered her tickets. I almost lost the tickets as I was so surprised I didn't respond to her and there were plenty of people that were more than happy to take advantage of the offer. Thankfully the lady had her heart set on me, for which I am more than grateful :)


and enjoy show here.

The next thing we did was speed touring. Even with our almost running pace it took us around 2 hours to walk though all the exhibition rooms. However I am not sure if I got them all, as I got a little bit lost in the meantime. I guess it doesn't matter as much, as I would have to come back because I got around 5% information and 40% pictures.

Resistors

Purposefully I am not describing any exhibition pieces and I don't want to spoil the fun for those of you who will go see it. For anyone interested in history, especially polish history both of the places will be interesting. Otherwise go to the beach instead:)

And you can admire rooftop view :)

Although I didn't "make the plan" I consider this year's Night at the Museum as successful. Did you ever got to experience the real Night at the Museum yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment